Jan 20, 2014
Three young children died in a house fire in Hammond, Indiana, and their father was badly burned while saving the other two children in the family. The fire was probably started by a propane space heater that this family was using because they had no gas, electricity, or heat.
The parents of these children met while working together at Walmart, but more recently, the dad worked odd jobs and couldn’t bring in enough to afford utilities. So the family was left with a deadly choice: freeze in the bitter cold, or risk using dangerous space heaters.
This is the result of a system where heat and housing are produced for profit, and where workers who can’t afford them are faced with these kinds of deadly choices. These children’s deaths, and countless others like them every single winter, show that this system has got to go.