Jan 21, 2013
Anti-abortion reactionaries have carried out stealth attacks on access to abortion by pushing through burdensome state legislation.
According to the Guttmacher Policy Review (2012), the following are the top 10 laws used to make it harder for women to have access to abortion:
1. Mandatory parental involvement prior to a minor’s ability to have an abortion, no matter what danger this poses for the minor.
2. Requiring medically inaccurate counseling prior to an abortion.
3. Requiring an extended waiting period plus in-person counseling so that two trips must be made to the facility.
4. Mandating a non-medically necessary ultrasound prior to an abortion.
5. Prohibiting Medicaid from paying for abortion, except in the case of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.
6. Restricting abortion coverage in private health insurance plans.
7. Putting medically inappropriate restrictions on the use of an abortion pill.
8. Placing expensive requirements on abortion facilities that have nothing to do with patient safety.
9. Requiring that abortions be performed very early in a pregnancy or limiting circumstances under which an abortion can be performed after fetal viability.
10. Putting a state law in place now that would immediately ban all abortions if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned.