Feb 7, 2011
Obama proposed in his speech to extort a range of sacrifices from the working class and other ordinary layers of the population – to cover the deficit the government runs up giving its money to business and the wealthy.
• He froze government workers’ pay for two years – a de facto wage cut.
• He wants to freeze all domestic spending for five years. Given the increase in the population, that’s another 6% cut in state and local programs funded by the federal government: public services, social services, education.
• He wants to reduce teachers’ wages by tying them to bonuses, while cutting out classes students need in science, history, social studies, literature, foreign languages, the arts, even physical education.
• He wants more cuts and bigger cuts in Medicaid and Medicare.
• Obama’s budget-cutting commission called for an increase in the age of retirement and a hidden decrease in Social Security benefits.
No wonder Obama today talks about “bi-partisan” solutions. He wants to share the blame for these attacks with the Republicans. Republicans have shown themselves ready to join with Obama to cut our standard of living, calling for cuts over and over.
They are charlatans – Democrats and Republicans both. We can thumb our nose at them, just like they do to us!