Jan 18, 2010
On January 5, two elderly workers and a friend were killed when their Detroit home caught on fire. The workers, brothers, were disabled and could not escape.
The house had no heat except for small electric space heaters. Even those had to run on bootleg electricity. The electric company, DTE, had turned off the power earlier in 2009. In December, when the homeowners tried to get power restored, DTE said they had to come up with $181 first. They could not.
For the lack of those dollars, three people were sentenced to die in January’s cold.
The gas and electric companies brag about their no-shut-off policies in the winter months. But these people were shut off. The gas and electric companies knew all about it. And they produced the past-due bills to justify it.
But accounting for human beings needing help? Assuring that no one has to burn to death or freeze, in winter? Not the companies’ affair! No profit in that!